Rupert had an x-ray
June 1, 2009
Last Friday I noticed Rupert had a limp on his back right foot. When I checked him his ‘ankle’ joint had swollen up and was very hard. I kept an eye on him and gave him a bit of Nurofen Children’s syrup as a painkiller but it didn’t seem to be getting any better or worse, so I took him up to the vets today. The vet said it was most likely an injury and the bones at his joints were fusing together or possibly septic or osteo arthritis, but they could do an x-ray and it would be quite interesting!
So Rupert got left at the vets and they did an x-ray. When I went back to pick him up this evening, they had decided it looked like he’d dislocated that joint and the bones were fusing as they healed as there is no movement of that joint. So I basically have to keep him quiet and keep an eye on him. He should get use of it back eventually and the worst case scenario is if causes chronic pain, then he could have his foot amputated. I don’t think it will come to that though as other than the limp, he seems to be ok, still jumping up the bars and getting about.
I asked if they could send me an email of the x ray but they don’t have the facilities to do that, but I can take a phot of them if I want, so next time I go I’ll have to take the camera, coz I think the x-ray photos are really interesting and they can go up on the website or something.